Founder Friday: Brian Armstrong of Coinbase
A story from Wednesday’s Morning Brew helped inspire this week’s Founder Friday. And if you’re a fan of blockchain or crypto/cryptocurrency, this is one that’ll be sure to be of interest to you.
Today, we share the story of Coinbase co-founder Brian Armstrong. We used several resources (linked below), but here are some highlights…
- Brian’s idea was initially inspired by the whitepaper credited to Satoshi Nakamoto. At the time, he was working at Airbnb as a Software Engineer.
- Coinbase, named Bitbank at the time, was a member of Y Combinator’s Summer 2012 cohort (YCS12).
- He met his co-founder, Fred Ehrsam, on Reddit.
We share these stories because we love celebrating tech startups, but we couldn’t do it without the heavy lifting of others. Here is where we pulled the above info…
- Entrepreneur’s Handbook: How Coinbase’s Founder Turned an Idea That “Looked Like a Scam” Into an $86 Billion Company
- Bitcoin Whitepaper by Satoshi Nakamoto
- Y Combinator: Coinbase from YC to IPO
- Morning Brew: The SEC Threatens to Sue Coinbase
*Image of Brian Armstrong from Entrepreneur’s Handbook post